Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review of the Book Best Bondage Erotica 2011

As part of the Naked Reader Book Club, I selected the book Best Bondage Erotica 2011 for review. All the stories are not purely about bondage, there is also some sado-masochism throughout the book. Also, do not expect this book to be limited to ropes and cuffs, because you’re in for a major surprise. I have to admit that the content is out of the ordinary, without being completely out of reach from most people. Meaning that if you wanted to recreate those stories, you probably could, as long as you can’t get caught.

I enjoyed most of the stories in this collection of books, but it wasn’t as good as I expected it to be. I suppose that since the title included ‘Best’ I had some expectations, which I usually do not have. Still, I would have something good to say about every story, but I would not want to spoil the fun of all the original ways someone can be tied or submit to another’s will, but let’s just say it can includes Internet cables and saran wrap for instance. Ok, maybe it’s not original for you if you are more knowledgeable and experienced about bondage, but I’m not. All that to say is that the versatility of the bondage is probably one of the most interesting thing about this book, and makes it special.

The stories are:
The Long Way Home – Elizabeth Coldwell
His Little Apprentice – Jacqueline Applebee
Foreign Exchange – Evan Mora
The Ingénue – Janine Ashbless
Reasoning – Tenille Brown
Subdue - Dusty Horn
Relative Anonymity – Emerald
Closeted – Emily Bingham
Vegas Treat – Rachel Kramer Bussel
The Cartographer – Angela Caperton
The Apiary – Megan Butcher
Wired – Lisabet Sarai
How the Little Mermaid Got Her Tail Back – Andrea Dale
The Lady or the Tiger – Bill Kte-pi
Sealed for Freshness – Jennifer Peters
Stocks and Bonds – Rita Winchester
Helen Lay Bound – Suzanne V. Slate
The Rainmaker – Elizabeth Daniels
Do You See What I Feel? – Teresa Noelle Roberts
Truss Issues – Lux Zakari

My favorite stories were The Ingénue, The Cartographer and Do You See What I Feel? In short the first one is about an innocent young woman who finds herself in a corrupting situation, and I really liked how it ended with a hint of the retribution to come. As for The Cartographer, it stood out by the quality of the writing, more than being particularly exciting for me. If you have a tattoo fetish, this one might be more enticing for you than I was, but I was fascinated how the whole thing was written, and it starts with ‘My body is a map.’ As for the third one Do You See What I Feel?, let’s just say that I liked how a blind man would check the integrity of the ropes binding a woman very tightly. Hot!

Despite liking this book overall, there are still some negative comments that can be said, like on The Apiary, which is even self-described as a ‘story with no happy ending’. A woman is raped by her partner after having clearly said ‘No’. I’m shocked that this story was included in this collection, not only because it is a rape, but it also goes against the concept of trust that is essential to doing BDSM. Maybe, just maybe someone could have rape fantasies and like this one, but I do not think it belonged in this anthology.

Most stories are written from the submissive’s point of view, which is the view that I usually prefer. And the sexual activities are usually between heterosexual couples, but then, that’s usually the case in erotica unless the title says otherwise. There are times when the stories does not include penetration, like The Ingénue, where only a hand job is going on, but the setting is sexy in itself. You’ll see.

This is a good book, since the stories were a turn on, and had me going for more, but it cannot get a perfect score from me. It’s not the best book for someone completely new to bondage, and there are softer BDSM erotica out there, but this book brings it to another level, not by much, but just enough.

You can get this book at this sex toy store I trust.

Kynky Kytty

product picture
Book by Various Authors
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Cleis Press Inc.
This product was provided free of charge to the reviewer.

0 comments (+add yours?)

Post a Comment