Jollies Silicone Toys

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review of the Book Fairy Tale Lust

The book Fairy Tale Lust, edited by Kristina Wright, is a collection of 18 short stories and has 196 pages. Most of them are inspired by well-known fairy tales, while others were completely original. Even though one or two of the stories have a genre that feel more like fiction than fantasy, they are still very good and Fairy Tale Lust Coverentertaining. Not all of the stories were as explicit as I would have liked, but with their entertaining factor, I was not disappointed by this book.

I liked that the fairy tale theme could let the authors let their imagination run wild and surprise me with the content of their stories. The only way for me to sometimes have a guess at the theme of a new story was to get the hint from the title. But then, that guess always had very little to do with the way the author connects the original fairy tale with the events of the story. So no, you won’t guess correctly.

The funny thing with this book is that the content was so fresh, original and fun that my curiosity got the best of me while I was reading. I read so quickly that I was unable to take mental notes of what I’d talk about in my review once I would finish the book. I had to go back and recall what they were about. While I was reading a story again, I realized that I could appreciate even more its sensuality, since I was not sprinting through the book.

There are sometimes magical creatures in the stories, which makes it really fun to read, but without giving any spoilers, there is for instance a beast, a gingerbread man and some kind of demonic deity. One of the most original and fantastic story is probably Her Hair Is a Net, Woven, where some type of water sprite is featured, and the concept was so fascinating that I barely noticed the erotica, which was written in a more poetic and sensual way.

The overall content of this book has elements of fantasy, but it is not too farfetched, and I took it all in quite easily. The writing styles of the erotic fairy tales vary greatly from one another, but most of them  are written from a third-person narrator. Most of the book is about heterosexual coupling with the regular activity you could expect between them, but there is some lesbian action, group sex notions, some gentle BDSM (dominance, leather shoes, bondage, biting, and exhibitionism). Take note that in fairy tales, people aren’t necessarily moral in their action and behavior, more like wanton. So I guess it’s a good thing when it comes to erotica.

The list of short stories is:

The Obedient Wife – Delilah DevlinInside View
How the Little Mermaid Got Her Tail Back – Andrea Dale
Ducking – Craig Sorensen
Three Times – Justine Elyot
Ellie and the Shoemaker – Louisa Harte
The Pub Owner’s Daughter – Alegra Verde
Sleep Tight – Janine Ashbless
Her Hair Is a Net, Woven – Shanna Germain
Mind Your Peas and Qs – Allison Wonderland
In the Dark Woods – Kristina Wright
Gildi and the Unwieldy, Ineffectual Committee of Bears – Jeremy Edwards
Frosted Glass – Aurelia T. Evans
Gingerbread Man – Carol Hassler
All in a Day’s Work – Saskia Walker
Big Bad Wolf (An Excerpt) – Alana Noël Voth
The Kiss – Michelle Augello-Page
The Return – Charlotte Stein
The Stone Room – A. D. R. Forte

My favorite story was the very first of all, The Obedient Wife, and I thought that it was an amazing start to the anthology with a writing style so similar to the original fairy tales I’d read as a child. However, with such a great start, I could not help but feel slightly let down by the following stories. Even if they were good, they would not always closely-related to the world of fairy tales, and some of them were modern. I guess that’s why I went through the book so quickly, because I was hoping to read something as excellent or as exciting. But don’t get me wrong, I really appreciated the whole book, but the first one scored big with me (pun totally intended).

You can get this book at this sex shop I trust.

Kynky Kytty

product picture
Book by Various Authors
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Cleis Press Inc.
This product was provided free of charge to the reviewer.

This item was received for free in exchange for an unbiased review. This review is in compliance with the FTC guidelines.

2 comments (+add yours?)

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow, thanks so much for the thoughtful review of this collection, and for the nice words about my story. The story is actually based on this German myth about the water man and his wife.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/water.html#waterman

It's very obscure, but I loved it so much I had to write about it!

Kynky Kytty said...

You're welcome, and I was actually wondering if that story was based on a real story. Thanks for sharing the link.

Post a Comment